Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Who is eligible for financial assistance?

Your family is eligible if your family is involved with DHS as voluntary or service eligible DHS case, following a child protective assessment (court involved cases are not eligible). You must be receiving ongoing child welfare case management services (as opposed to child support, or other "benefits" DHS provides). If you are not sure whether your family is eligible, ask your DHS worker.

Are there any income eligibility requirements?

No. However, we don't have unlimited resources, so if you don't need the financial assistance, you might want to consider leaving the money for others who do need it.

What if I need something that's not on the list, or I'm not sure if you will pay for it?

You can always ask; if it's not something we can fund, or doesn't align with our mission, we will say no (and you're not any worse off than before you asked!). But unless you ask, we may not know there's a need for something, so please ask.

What kinds of things do you fund?

Generally speaking, we want to fund things that help keep your kids with you, or that allow them to participate in normal kid things. We want to remove the relatively small obstacles that can turn into big problems if left unattended. DHS can help you with the big things; we'll help you with the smaller things that they can't help with.